The classic Middle Eastern team of chickpeas and tahini (sesame paste) is combined in this tasty, offbeat soup recipe. Serve with fresh whole wheat pita bread. Middle Eastern tabbouli salad and a steamed green vegetable would round this meal out nicely.
Photos by Evan Atlas. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Chickpea-Mushroom Soup with Tahini
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Vegan / healthy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 cups white, baby bella, or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt-free seasoning
- 3½ cups cooked or two 15- to 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame paste)
- ¼ to ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley, to…