Eggplant and tofu steaks cooked on the grill can be eaten from plate, served on bread, or inserted into buns. The fruit in the recipe, added here as a garnish, is a pleasing accompaniment. Recipe contributed by Nikki and David Goldbeck, from American Wholefoods Cuisine.*
Eggplant and Tofu Outdoor Mixed Grill
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 eggplant
- Six 4-ounce squares or 3 large 8-ounce pieces of tofu
(firm rather than soft style)
- 2 to 3 peaches or nectarines, quartered
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (peeling not necessary)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Cut eggplant lengthwise, from stem to blossom end, into at least 6 slices, ¼ to ½ inch two flat squares; otherwise leave whole.
- Marinate eggplant, tofu, and fruit for 1 hour or longer, turning several times.
- Place on grill over hot coals and cook until tofu and eggplant are well…