I admit that I’m usually too lazy to make crust from scratch, especially now that there are several really good, natural brands on the market. But it’s really not that difficult, and fun to do once in a while. Here’s my Favorite Basic Pizza Dough recipe, which harks back to my very first book, Vegetariana.
Favorite Basic Pizza Dough
Makes enough crust for two 12- to 14-inch pizzas
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup safflower or olive oil
- 2 tbsp natural granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine the yeast with 2 cups of warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes to dissolve. Stir in the oil and sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours and salt. Make a well in the center and stir in the yeast mixture. Work everything together. first with a wooden spoon and then your hands, to form a dough.
- Turn it out…