Marinated beets are an appetizing addition to this simple salad of mixed greens and carrots. Walnuts add a nice flavor. If time is of the essence, I’ve included a shortcut of using pickled beets from a jar—but the homemade kind are best! Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 to 4 medium beets (or see shortcut)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 3 to 4 oz mixed baby greens or 1/2 head red-leaf lettuce, torn
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced, or shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- several sprigs fresh dill leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook or microwave the beets whole, in their skins, until they can be pierced with a fork. For specifics, see How to Cook Beets.
- Combine the vinegar, lemon or lime juice, and maple syrup or agave in a shallow…