Tender asparagus is a welcome sign of spring, and Thai seasonings—including lemongrass, if you can find some—provide a wonderful way to enjoy them. Peel the lower part of the stalks before slicing if the skin is thick and tough. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 tbsp peanut or other vegetable oil
- 4 large scallions, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced
- dried red chiles, minced or ground, to taste
- 1 lb asparagus, sliced on a diagonal, stalks and tips kept separate
- 3–4 tbsp vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp shoyu or natural soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- Set a wok or stir-fry pan over high heat. Add the oil and swirl it to coat the inside of the pan.
- Add the scallions and stir-fry briefly. Add the ginger, lemongrass, and chiles and continue stir-frying, gradually adding the asparagus, sliced stalks…